Welcome to an all new series on Redline: New Car of the Month! On the first Friday of the month, I’ll select a new car on sale on the Australian market, write a description of it, and create my own custom configuration on the car’s manufacturer’s website. So, let’s begin – the very first car on this new segment is a Porsche 911 Targa 4S.
The Porsche 911 Targa was first launched in 1966, two years after the launch of the base 911. The car was a success – targa versions of Porsche 911s have been produced every single year since 1966 through many, many generations. In 2014, when Porsche took the covers off the 991-generation Targa at the Detroit motor show, everyone dropped their jaw in awe – if that isn’t an indicator as to the beauty and success of the Targa, what is?
The 2017 Porsche 911 Targa 4S is the most powerful non-GTS 911 Targa on sale today. It packs a 3.0L twin-turbo flat-6 engine producing 309kW and 500Nm, that sends power to all 4 wheels through either a 7-speed manual or 7-speed PDK automatic. Thanks to its moderately-light mass of 1539kg, it gets to 100km/h in 4.4 seconds, towards a top speed of 288km/h.
Now, on to my configuration. This config is my dream spec – I’ve added every option that I would add if I were to buy this in real life. The points that follow are the options I’ve added on, in no particular order:
- Miami Blue paint – 5,990.00 A$
- Convertible top in black
- Leather interior in Black – 8,140.00 A$
- SportDesign exterior mirrors – 1,290.00 A$
- SportDesign exterior mirror lower trims painted in Black (high-gloss) – 690.00 A$
- Targa roll bar in satin black – 1,430.00 A$
- 7-speed manual transmission
- Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) – 19,990.00 A$
- Sport Chrono Package including mode switch – 3,890.00 A$
- Sports exhaust system with black tailpipes – 5,890.00 A$
- 20-inch Carrera Classic wheels – 2,710.00 A$
- Instrument dials in Bordeaux Red – 1,450.00 A$
- Seat belts in Silver-Grey – 1,050.00 A$
- Carbon interior package with leather interior – 3,890.00 A$
You can see pictures of my dream Targa 4S throughout this article, or on the Porsche website (click here). And with that, that’s a wrap on the very first New Car of the Month! What do you guys think of my car choice and dream configuration? Let me know down below, and ensure you submit a car suggestion on the submission page!