Toyota has announced pricing and specifications for the 12th generation of its best-selling Corolla hatchback.
The new Corolla is a major departure from its predecessor – it looks completely different, has new engines, an improved cabin and ‘class-leading’ safety.
It is now based on Toyota’s modular TNGA platform, meaning that the 12th gen Corolla has a lower centre of gravity and is 60% more rigid than the 11th-gen model. Dimensions wise, it’s 40mm lower, 30mm wider and 45mm longer than before.
Two engines are available from launch. The first engine will likely be the biggest seller, a 2.0-litre naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine that produces 125kW of power and 200Nm of torque. Fuel economy is claimed at 6.0L/100km, and it happily accepts 91 RON regular unleaded. It is available with two gearboxes: a new six-speed manual with electronic rev-matching, and a CVT automatic with 10 stepped ratios with paddle shifters and a launch gear to make it feel more like a conventional auto.
The second powertrain option is a petrol-hybrid system, which pairs a 72kW/142Nm 1.8-litre Atkinson-cycle petrol engine to a 53kW/163Nm battery & motor system for a combined output of 90kW. Despite the 10kW power drop and increased fuel usage (4.2L/100km as opposed to 4.1L/100km), Toyota claims it delivers a quieter and smoother driving experience.
The Corolla’s cabin has also seen an upgrade. The interior layout is more refined and comfortable, and features more premium materials than before. Infotainment comes in the form of a 8.0-inch floating tablet-style touchscreen, while in high-spec 2.0-litre and hybrid models the driver gets a 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster.
Safety is also much improved – autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection, adaptive cruise control, seven airbags and a reversing camera as standard across all models.
A full pricing and spec rundown of the entire Corolla range is below.
Pricing (plus on-road costs):
- Ascent Sport (2.0L manual): $22,870
- Ascent Sport (2.0L CVT): $24.370
- Ascent Sport (1.8L hybrid CVT): $25,870
- SX (2.0L CVT): $26,870
- SX (1.8L hybrid CVT): $28,370
- ZR (2.0L CVT): $26,870
- ZR (1.8L hybrid CVT): $28,370
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- LED headlights with auto high-beam
- Independent rear suspension
- Electric power steering
- AEB with pedestrian & cyclist detection
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane departure alert with steering assist
- Speed sign recognition
- Seven airbags
- ISOFIX child seat mount points
- Reversing camera
- Fabric seats
- 4.2-inch driver information display
- 8.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Bluetooth, voice control & Toyota Link
- Urethane steering wheel
- One USB port
- Manual air conditioning
- Electronic parking brake
- Dual zone climate control (hybrid only)
- Keyless entry and drive (hybrid only)
SX (in addition to Ascent Sport):
- Premium leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Tinted privacy glass
- Front fog lights
- Blind spot monitoring
- Dual-zone climate control
- Qi wireless phone charger
- Proximity key
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation with SUNA live traffic
ZR (in addition to SX):
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Leather and suede heated sports seats
- Driver’s seat electric lumbar support
- 7.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- Ambient LED cabin lighting
- Heads-up display
- JBL eight-speaker premium sound system